If you are a knife collector, then you know that a good knife sharpener is important when it comes to sharpening your knives. You don’t want a sharpener that is going to dull your knife, and you certainly don’t want something that is going to take hours to get your knife to the sharpness you desire. Whether you need a sharpener in the kitchen or out in the field, the sharpener needs to work as it should.
The thing you want to look for in a knife sharpener is something that fits within your budget. You need to know that it doesn’t have to be a super expensive $200 sharpener to get the job done, it just needs to be a quality sharpener instead. Read on below for a guide to some of the best portable knife sharpeners on the market today for under $20.
3 Stage Knife Sharpener
This knife sharpener is great because it can sharpen different types of knives. It is considered a professional 3-stage sharpening system that can sharpen at fine, coarse, and ceramic levels individually. The terrific thing about this sharpener is that it can sharpen your kitchen, hunting, and ceramic knives, just to name a few.
- A setting for sharpening ceramic knives only
- A coarse setting for dull knives.
- Works well for honing your knives that are in use daily
- Easy to use, you just place the knife in the slot and move it through three to four times, and you are done
- Easy to clean by just removing the grinder head and then cleaning the grindstone while it’s down.
- One direction only for sharpening
- Might not work well for someone with larger hands
The Wellcn knife sharpener seems to be a great buy at $10.99. Not only does it sharpen more than one type of knife. It’s convenient and lightweight at 6.7 ounces and can be used virtually anywhere from the lake to the kitchen.
Whether you are out in the field hunting for deer or need a small ceramic sharpener for your bug out bag, the Alpha Tech sharpener seems able to do the trick. It is said to be excellent to use on all types of knives, especially filet knives.
- Lightweight and easy to handle
- Can be hung on a backpack, stuck in your pocket or stored in the kitchen. It is small enough to be stored anywhere.
- Has non-slip rubber feet to hold it in place during sharpening
- Pre-set angles give a good sharp edge to knives that are already sharp
- Hard to hold in your hand for long periods of time
- Might be smaller than you would expect
- Does not work well when sharpening pocket knives
At the low price of $9.97, the Alpha Tech is quite a deal. While it’s not the best at sharpening pocket knives, if you want to use it for filet knives, it may just be the right knife for you.
KazzTek Little Green Machine
When it comes to safety while sharpening your knives, the KazzTek Little Green Machine beats the competition hands down. It sharpens everything from hunting knives to kitchen knives and even sharpens scissors, so all your needs are met in this one handy dandy little sharpener.
- Lightweight and portable, take it wherever you go
- Suction pads hold this sharpener in place for safety
- Doesn’t sharpen serrated blades
- Is said to be fragile and not stick to the counter well
All-in-all, the KazzTek Little Green Machine, seems to be the best bet for your money. It’s lightweight at 2.4 ounces so is super easy to carry wherever you go, and at only $7.99, it is the best buy for portable knife sharpeners on the market today.
In my opinion, your best bet of the knife sharpeners above would be the Alpha Tech. It is lightweight, so very easy to take with you and even sharpens scissors, something that is hard to find in a sharpener.